Monday, March 28, 2011

"Where have they gone?"

“Have you seen her: Mother gazelle?
Her coat shimmers in the sun’s heat
As she feeds her young with milk so sweet;
Have you? Seen our Mother Gazelle?”

The voice cracks, the scene shatters—
With one and twenty bullets through the air.
There she lies, silken coat in tatters,
With her young curled up – innocent, silent pair.

“Where are they, the rainforests,
Lush, green, home to so many?
Please, where have they gone?
Aren’t there any?”

Wiped off the face of earth,
Homes, hopes, lives devastated.
Only jungles of cement... and of what worth?
None – all done and wasted.

“Have you seen my glaciers?
Powerful, fluid and full of grace,
Purpose, and spirit of race –
Please, where can I find my glaciers?”

Where indeed... for they have melted.
Spirit, power, grace - departed;
Washed away without heed,
For such is Man’s greed.

Tears of acid stain her pristine face,
Sweat glistens on her skin’s surface.
Her once lively, lush, green hair wilts,
As she shivers and draws her hole-ridden
Atmospheric quilt.

“Don’t you see me, human, don’t you care?
Such torture, agony... Is it fair?
I pray to you, save me, preserve what is left,
For without me, you define tragedy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment